1980's Children's TV

Do you remember the following children's television programes from the 1980's?

Chocablock (presenter driving around in a little yellow car)
Bricabrack (presented by Brian Cant)
Button Moon (if memory serves, rather old-fashioned)
Mr Benn (absolute classic)
King Rolo (I think this featured a little cartoon king – the rest is a blurry haze)
Bagpuss (no further explanation necessary)
Rub A Dub Tub (the best of the lot – Sunday morning cartoons and programs as part of TVAM)
Wide Awake Club (a mid-eighties successor to the above)
Postman Pat (still going, though sacked from the Royal Mail)
The Mr Men (nod to Arthur Lowe)
The Moomins (Eerie)
Pigeon Street (Long Distance Clara)
Super Ted (strangely depressing, though compelling)
Banana Man (as before…though nod to Bill Oddie)
Paddington Bear (gentle and reassuring)
Danger Mouse (the opposite of the above)
Thundercats (now we’re in broader territory)
He-Man (see above)
Inspector gadget (and again)

We then inevitable fall into the realm of “Grange Hill”, “Jim’ll fix it” and “Why Don’t You” and I’ll be one step away from nostalgic insanity.

I think I might try and create a Channel Four documentary on eighties children’s TV. I wouldn’t bother with a survey as it would only bring in other people’s rubbish (as you will be aware from my other blogs, I live in a world where I am a benevolent dictator and “know best”). Just a thought…

That said, feel free to comment with your own memories from this period…

Comments