Foo Fighters (supported by Serj Tankian), 6th November 2007 – NEC Arena, Birmingham

Awful traffic....awful, awful, awful. Still, such is the way of things at the NEC.

Anyway, we  watched casually as Serj Tankian performed a few obscure tracks – kind of a Frank Zappa meets System of a Down. I’m sure he was ranting on about something or other but I wasn't that interested. What concerned me more was my angle to the stage: the NEC is divided into three stands which sit at right angles to each other, meaning that the sound was hitting my right ear exclusively and I was left with partial deafness for the next couple of week in my right ear only.


The Foo Fighters were great – they had just released the excellent Echoes album (much better than the previous double album in my view). Opened with track two (can’t recall the name of the song and then played “The Pretender.” Pat Smear was on stage so it was weird listening to three guitarists, but they made it work. Great song selection from all the albums and good showmanship from His Excellency Mr Grohl and Taylor Hawkins also.

Final recollection...as we made our way out into the car park I was reflecting happily on the fact that we hadn’t had our enjoyment marred by more punch-ups or obnoxious Australians – only for a passing stranger to walk into Lee and cause a hefty row. Just goes to show – it’s the Foo Fighters fault after all.

8.5 out of 10 (1 mark deduction for the bad traffic and another half for my deafness).

Comments

Post a Comment