Sepultura (supported by Floodgate), 15th December 1996 – Civic Hall, Wolverhampton

In December 1996 I had the chance to see Sepultura at Wolverhampton on what was to be their penultimate ever gig as the original line up on their final tour (Max left soon after). Having had most of their performance at Donnington blocked out by Korn’s legendary showing, it was a chance to see them play for an extended period of time and perform practically all their major songs. 

I recall that this was one of the most intense crowds I have ever been in, though I remember wishing they would have played more of their earlier stuff from Beneath the Remains and Arise. Sepultura were also joined by extra musicians to give backing to songs such as “Roots” and “Kaiowas”. Floodgate were also very solid in support, and played about 40 minutes worth of bluesy heavy rock.

This was a Sunday night gig and I look back now wondering how I managed to do any work in sixth form. Not sure I did that year in fact – looking back I can’t quite believe how many live performances I went to in 1996. Incidentally, I seem to have lost this ticket somehow...

7.5 out of 10

Comments