Opeth 6th September 2005 – Carling Academy 2, Birmingham

The day before I was due to tour Somerset with the cricket team I played or at the time (and if memory serves a few days before the final Ashes Test in that great series), Opeth played on the tiny C2 (stuffed into the far corner of the academy!) 


However, it was the first time seeing this great band and it was not disappointing. With no support band, Opeth opened with “Deliverance” (outro sensational) and played “The Drapery Falls,” “Baying of the Hounds” (from new album Ghost Reveries), “Blackwater Park” (absolutely superb in its eeriness), an Iron Maiden cover, “In My Time of Need,” plus several tracks from albums 3 and 4 that I did not recognise at the time. I recall having to travel to Weston-Super-Mare the following in my second choice shoes as my main trainers were caked in beer. The floor there has always been like that...

8 out of 10

Comments